Storm Readiness Tips for Residents
The City of Vista Public Works Department has been busy behind the scenes this winter preparing for the storm season, including removing debris from storm drains and strengthening road and park infrastructure before the expected rain hits.
Chuck Crist, City of Vista Public Works Director notes that some street flooding may occur in low lying areas of the City during very heavy rain storms. “In the event a severe storm delivers significant rainfall counts, the drainage systems may reach full capacity and potentially cause flooding,” Mr. Crist said. “When needed, Public Works crews will post road closures in areas where unsafe driving conditions exist.” Drivers are urged to stay alert, pay attention to road signs, slow down and use caution during heavy rain storms.
Free Unfilled Sandbags for Vista Residents and Storm Readiness Tips
Keeping a few sandbags ready this winter may help ward off water if it approaches a home. Free, unfilled sand bags are available at the Public Works facility during normal business hours. Residents can purchase fill materials at local home centers and building supply stores. (Homeowners living outside the city of Vista limits should check San Diego County’s ReadySanDiego.gov website for County sand bag distribution locations.) Residents can watch the County of San Diego's how-to video “You’ve Got Your Sandbags; Now What?” which was created last year (video located at the end of the linked article). The video explains how to properly fill and use sandbags to protect property.
TIPS FOR RESIDENTS
- Clear drains and rain gutters. Roofs should be clear of leaves and debris.
- Keep flashlights and batteries handy in case of power outages.
- CA law requires turning on headlights when windshield wipers are in continuous use.
- To learn more what you can do to prepare, visit ReadySanDiego.gov's Storm Readiness preparation page.
- Flood damage is not covered by traditional homeowners' insurance and is only available through the National Flood Insurance program (30-day waiting period before policy is effective). Learn more.
- SDG&E Unplanned Power Outage Map and Information
- San Diego County Damage Assessment Form
City of Vista Public Works Location & Business Hours
1165 E. Taylor Street, Vista, CA 92084 l P: 760.639.6177
Public Works Business Hours: Monday-Thursday 6:30 am to 4 pm and alternative Fridays 6:30 am - 3:00 pm