The City of Vista’s goal is to provide the best well-maintained streets for motorists. Both the Public Works and Engineering departments closely monitor the conditions of the streets and collaborate on annual road and traffic improvement program.
Safe Routes to School Projects
- Maryland Elementary Sidewalk Improvements: Construct sidewalk on North Avenue, W. Los Angeles Drive and East Drive. Extends sidewalks along North Drive from N. Melrose Avenue to El Pico Court; W. Los Angeles Drive between North Drive and W. California Avenue; and East Drive between North Drive and Cajon Circle. Driver speed feedback signs will be installed on North Drive to keep motorists aware of the posted speed limit. Work was completed in fall, 2017.
Roadway Safety Project
- E. Vista Way Raised Medians: Install raised, landscaped medians on E. Vista Way between Fire Station #6 and Williamston Street. The project is intended to improve safety and traffic flow for motorists without widening the road. Design has been completed. Construction documents were advertised at the end of November, 2017. The City Council will consider awarding a construction contract on January 23, 2018. Construction is expected to begin in March, 2018.
Traffic Management Projects & Signal Modifications
- South of Hwy 78: Upgrade Signals & Interconnect. Advertisement for bids scheduled for December 2017 with an award date in March 2018.
- Vista Village Drive @ N. Santa Fe Avenue: add a third through westbound lane; install an eastbound right turn overlap; install programmed visibility signal indications for northbound traffic.
- N. Melrose Drive @ W. Vista Way: add a third southbound through lane between Ascot and W. Vista Way; widen the east side to accommodate a future third lane
- Bobier Drive & Anza Avenue (N): Traffic Signal installation. Work completed and traffic signal energized in December, 2017.
Citywide Biennial Street Reconstruction and Overlay (CIP 8225)
- 2017 project, begins August, 2017
- Project is substantially complete as of December 2017.
- Waiting on Caltrans permits for all remaining work. Mar Vista, N. Melrose and Emerald within Caltrans ROW.
- Striping and Signage for N. Melrose added to the project (CIP 8294)-still waiting for Caltrans approval.
- Added pavement overlay on Chaparral by change order.
Citywide Biennial Slurry Seal (CIP 8262)
This project is currently in the design phase. The citywide slurry seal project will begin in summer, 2018.